Show constraints

Hi Hrishi,

I was wondering whether there is a way to show constraints on the evaluation maps. If this is not the case, it seems that I have to incorporate constraints into the evaluation maps under the category “existing”. Our project participants will not accept maps that have a “hidden agenda”.

Regards

Fred

Hi Fred,
Great point. Constraints can be included in Evaluation maps or separately as a different layer. If you include it in evaluation your are only “penalized” during impacts but if you add it as a constraints layer it will clip the diagrams to remove anything over it. So if added as a constraints layer is a “hard” constraint and is enforced when included in a evaluation map, it is a soft constraint and just will have negative impacts but will not be clipped. See this: What are constraints?

Re “Hidden agenda”: :slight_smile: I can talk about this a lot. Geodesignhub maps are a “ordinal scale” that means that they are “opinion based” not “data based” so any hidden agenda is really the agenda of the map maker as it should be. There is plenty of data and maps to show that you should not build any settlements on a flood prone area, yet millions of people live in a flood prone area (e.g. this link) so “data-driven” maps are totally ignored e.g. read this very important / insightful blog on data driven maps. And lets ask the question honestly, do you really think anything will change looking at these maps without fundamental changes in us. Which brings me back to a basic point: data does not govern decision making (it helps), the decision model (values) and economics does. What Geodesignhub is trying to do is to show the inter-connections and move away from a zero-sum values / economics game by introducing negotiations and supporting execution of these negotiated outcomes. Anyway, we can talk about this in great detail.

Hrishi

1 Like

Hi Hrishi,

I totally agree with you on the point of opinion-based versus data-driven. The issue at hand is that we will have very little time for your workshop with the municipality. That means we cannot explain all this. The participants have to understand the evaluation maps without too much explanations. And as we have to show areas that have a legally protected status on the evaluation map I have no other choice as to include them in the form of soft constraints.
Thank you and best regards
Fred

2 Likes

Hi Fred,
In this case, here is what I would do, the legally protected areas should be “yellow” in evaluation map (Not Appropriate) and additionally, I would add create a layer constraints and upload that so that anything drawn on the legally protected areas is automatically clipped.

1 Like