In this article, I will talk about the a brand new course that has been recently launched.
As we continue on our Geodesign journey, I have been asked by a number of people to develop a introductory course to get started and understand the Geodesignhub, the tool and the concepts. The software and the technology evolves over time and the workshops etc. are much more streamlined and fast. Geoesignhub provides an important tool in your toolkit and an opportunity for professional development.
We had a course earlier but it was first developed in 2018 and there were some critical issues that have been bought up a number of times:
- It is bit too long in more than 5-hours of content. It covered a broad range of topics including GIS tooling for making evaluation maps. Therefore it was too technical and difficut to understand for non-GIS listeners, in many cases they simply skipped some of the sections.
- The course focused on the software tools and how to use them, it went into too much detail about the features of the tools. I have received a lot of the feedback specifically that understanding the core concepts of Geodesignhub was more important than the specific tooling that is implemented in Geodesignhub, since Geodesignhub is easy to understand anyways.
- The course structure did not provide enough context to understand how and where these tools can be implemented for the listener’s projects.
At the same time, the course was also great becuase:
- It walked through the Geodesign process by using a case-study method where the case was picked and developed via the Geodesign tooling
- It was delivered via a platform (Teachable) that had a mobile app and all the other functionality that comes with systems like these: coupons, ability to have free previews etc.
- The comprehensive course structure was welcome becuase it went into the details of the process and the flow was also easy enough to understand.
To fix these issues, I decided to turn off the course and build a new course from scratch including a new case study. The focus is more on the method, the concepts of negotiations and a gentle introduction to Geodesignhub.
The new course builds upon the previous course to deliver on the same familiar Teachable platform. However it is much more streamlined and foucsed:
- The lectures are much smaller in a 2-4 minute chunks making the whole course much shorter to just about an hour and a bit more.
- The new course also builds upon the “case study” approach to introduce the concepts. You can use that to apply to your project as well.
- It focuses on the implementation framework and how the technology is deployed to speed your projects and deliver results. Geodesignhub implements a method that has been deployed in different domains and you can learn how this method can be implemented for your problem.
The main objective of the course is to provide a starting point to understand Geodesignhub technology and how it can be implemented in your projects. It provides a introduction to the toolset and gives the listener a introduction to digital negotiations, how to set it up and provide practical tools to learn the technology that can be deployed for your projects fast.
Geodesignhub is aimed towards Project Managers, Program co-ordinators and Mid / Senior Management professionals involved in public administration or management of complex place focused projects. In a professional context, geodesign technology and methods are used in the context of collaboration between different stakeholders primarily for decision making support. This course will help you develop important digital capacity for yourself and your organization.
I hope that you can enjoy is short, focused introduction to Geodesignhub technology and use it in your projects. !